5 Reasons to Love Northwest River Park
When was the last time you really disconnected from the hustle of daily life? Escape to the stunning outdoor scenery and events right around the corner at Northwest River Park in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Located on the banks of the Northwest River in Southeastern Chesapeake, this 763-acre park is the perfect blend of natural beauty and recreational activities. There's plenty to love about this four-time winner of the "Best of Chesapeake," but here are five great reasons to love Northwest River Park.
- Camping - If you're in the mood for some outdoor fun, you'll love Northwest River Park and Campground. With hundreds of acres of majestic parkland, which includes 66 groomed campsites and two cabins available for rent, you can spend a night out under the stars in the way that best fits your level of adventure-seeking. (Please note that the campground is closed until further notice.)
- Fishing - No need to come home with fish tales - the 6-acre lake is stocked with trout and catfish, waiting for you to catch the big one. If you're a fisherman in training, Northwest River Park also offers free fishing courses to learn about equipment, technique and much more.
- The Trail System - Ah, the sweet smell of nature. Take in all you'd like with the seven-trail system totaling nearly 8 miles - it's the perfect setting for hiking, biking and horseback riding. There's even an equestrian area for horse owners. So lace up or saddle up, because these trails are ripe for exploring.
- Bird-Watching - Home to more than 200 bird species, Chesapeake has been a sanctuary for year-round bird-watching since the 1600s. In the spring and summer you'll see blue birds, pee wees and more. In the fall and winter, you'll see fox sparrows, song sparrows and dark-eyed junkos. At any time you might see assorted hawks, merlins and even a bald eagle. It's all part of the Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail. What are you waiting for? Let's get to watching.
- Water Adventures - Do you hear that? That's the sound of Smith Creek and Indian Creek calling your name. Rent a paddleboat or canoe and spend the afternoon paddling, or experience a breathtaking sunset while enjoying the calm serenity of a Northwest Park water adventure.
Be sure to check the events section of the Visit Chesapeake website for more information on the adventurous happenings at Northwest River Park.
The park is open year-round from 9 a.m. until sunset. The campground is open from April 1-November 30. Store hours vary seasonally. Please call (757) 421-7151 for more information.