What's New in Chesapeake, VA
An ever-expanding selection of businesses, attractions, and activities offer appealing reasons for visitors to keep coming back to Chesapeake. Some of the newest additions to the city’s travel portfolio include:
- Wasserhund Brewing Company unleashed flavor and fun by pairing German beers with artisan pizza in the heart of the city.
- River Dogs Kayaking offers more time to explore Chesapeake’s pristine waters by launching its guided kayak tours expertly from a pontoon boat.
- The African American Heritage Trail features six Chesapeake sites that reflect on the city’s history during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, the Underground Railroad, and more. A companion podcast for the self-guided driving tour illuminates personal stories linked to each location with powerful commentary from local historians, artists, and citizens.
- One of the best ways to explore Chesapeake is with the new Paddle the Peake mobile passport. Chart a path to nine different destinations via the city’s beautiful waterways and learn about their history and ecology on your way to earning rewards for your progress.
- The "Soul" in Soulivia's Art + Soul was named in honor of the soulful heritage of Edna Anne Jenkins, the owner's mother, who was raised on Scott's Plantation, on St. Helena Island which is rich in Gullah Geechee culture. Dishes are inspired by family recipes. Soulivia's was created to provide a space to enjoy great food, amazing service, and an abundance of love.
- Off the Hook Seafood and Chophouse new expanded location is set to open in late spring 2022. The new location will feature two restaurants with a contemporary look. The restaurant facing the main road will be a fine dining chop house: which is the main branding theme for Off the Hook. Along the waterfront, is a more informal dining area that will cater to people from both the land and water seeking to relax and enjoy their next meal. It will feature a raw bar, fresh seafood specialties, and prime-cut meats sourced locally for the best of every season.
- The Great Bridge Battlefield and Waterways Museum commemorates the Revolutionary War victory that ended British rule over Virginia in a new facility adjacent to the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. Engaging permanent and changing historical exhibits plus an outdoor interpretive trail combine for a remarkable educational experience.
- Celebrate special occasions in The Barn at Pocaty Farm. This working dairy farm now offers indoor and outdoor event space perfect for weddings, corporate events, family reunions, and more.