The Cornland School is a historic one-room schoolhouse established to education African-American children in the post-Civil War era. Here, students attended the 20-by-30-foot building. It had no electricity, no water, and only one stove for heat. All grades and subjects were taught in the one room. It is believed to be the oldest school of its kind still standing in Coastal Virginia and one of the last remaining African-Americna elementary schools from the days of segregation. It was in operation from 1871-1952.