You don’t have to look any further than this year’s Veer Magazine Awards to see that Chesapeake’s two local breweries are masters of their craft. The awards are decided by a combination of online popular votes and a committee of select beer tasters. With 30 total breweries in the running, the competition was tough. But Chesapeake’s Big Ugly Brewing and The Garage Brewery stood strong with a combined 13 awards, showing why they’re must-visits for beer lovers in the Hampton Roads area.
The Garage Brewery
1011 Eden Way N Suite M
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Award: The Garage Brewery won a silver medal for their tasty Boss Lady Triple Berry Gose (European Sour Beer Category).
About: Garage Brewery is a quaint seven-barrel microbrewery focused on creating unique draft beers to please everybody's taste. They have an outdoor patio as well as a mezzanine for private parties and gatherings. Food trucks are parked outside on a constantly rotating schedule, ready to pair deliciously with your cold brew.
Big Ugly Brewing
845 Battlefield Blvd S
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Big Ugly Brewing had quite the haul this year, winning 12 total awards (including best tasting room) and receiving second place for overall points.
- Amber & Brown American Beer - GOLD: Paul’s Favorite
- American Porter & Stout - BRONZE: Ghost Rider
- European Dark & Strong Lager - GOLD: Accelerator Doppelbock
- Fruit Beer - GOLD: POG Gose
- Juicy/Hazy IPA - BRONZE: Imperial Leaf Peepers
- Irish Beer - SILVER: Roland’s Red
- Specialty Beer - GOLD: S’mores Brown Ale
- Spiced Beer - BRONZE: Hot Pursuit
- Wood Beer - BRONZE: Red, White &Blueberry, Saison aged in Red/White wine barrels
- Collaboration - SILVER: Tropical IPA, MoMac/Big Ugly
- Brewery Tasting Room - GOLD
- Can Design - SILVER: Rockers IPA
About: If you haven’t tasted the delicious brews at Big Ugly Brewing, you’re missing out. Originally a hobby for its founders, Big Ugly has grown to an award-winning brewery with a family-friendly atmosphere.
See You Soon! Before you dip into Chesapeake’s best local beers, why not have some fun exploring everything our great city has to offer? Check out family fun for everyone, arts and entertainment, shopping, sports and outdoor recreation, rainy day fun, and everything in between. Come on out to Chesapeake and let the moments begin.